- Creating Financial Independence in Jackson Nearly 25,000 Jackson county households struggle to make ends meet (click on the ALICE Report on our home page). Many of the families that are facing financial difficulties can be helped by simply learning how to better manage their money. United Way of Jackson County supports a program that does just that. The Community Action Agency’s Financial Freedom class give’s participants the knowledge base and skills they need to achieve financial independence. Class participants learn about creating a budget plan, how to make arrangements with creditors, how to establish credit, develop goals, learn how to communicate with their spouse about ... Read more
- Jackson School of the Arts The mission of The Jackson School of the Arts (JSA) is to make the arts accessible to all children regardless of their financial means. United Way funds are used as JSA scholarships for families whose income is below the poverty line. At risk youth have access to high quality art, dance and theatre instruction in a nurturing environment with positive adult role models. A sustained community arts education promotes physical health, cognitive development and improved self-esteem. If the full cost of the JSA programs were passed on to all families, only those with ample disposable income would have their children ... Read more
- Legal Services of South Central Michigan – Jackson County Mediation/Eviction Diversion Program Because you give to United Way of Jackson County, low income families are able to stay in their homes. United Way of Jackson County funds Legal Services of South Central Michigan’s (LSSCM) Jackson County Mediation/Eviction Diversion Program. This program specifically helps families that are facing imminent loss of shelter. The program also advocates for accessibility to safe and affordable housing for Jackson County.
99% of clients who were assigned an attorney for full representation through LCSCM had successful outcomes. Stories vary greatly from client to client but just one example of their positive impact in Jackson can be told with Rose’s ... Read more
- United Way of Jackson County – Energizing Education If students are not reading at grade level by 3rd grade they will fall behind in their learning. It’s at that critical age when children transition from learning to read and start reading to learn. Jackson has a multi-generational issue of poverty, and education is the pathway out of poverty. The goal of Energizing Education is to ensure all Jackson County students are reading at grade level by the 4th grade. To make that target, Energizing Education uses In-School mentoring and Family Engagement.
In-School Mentors are volunteers who have one on one reading time with at risk youth. They visit with ... Read more
- Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale – Outpatient Counseling Program Even with the onset of the Affordable Care Act there are still many in Jackson County who don’t have proper access to services that address mental health and substance abuse issues. The Outpatient Counseling program offered by Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale provides those services on a sliding scale to Jackson residents who qualify. The program emphasizes using a strengths-based perspective by using a person’s natural abilities and supports to overcome hardship and illness in addition to maintaining good mental health and positive relationships once treatment ends. The Outpatient Counseling Program focuses on providing clients with the skills, ... Read more
- UWJXN’s Central Michigan 2-1-1 Central Michigan 2-1-1 is the only comprehensive referral program in Jackson County. 2-1-1 is the free, easy to remember and confidential telephone number that links people with human services they need. Trained professionals are available day and night. Those calling 2-1-1 are able to get the information they need, are pointed in the right direction and are encouraged to follow through. Central Michigan 2-1-1 is located inside Lifeways and serves 9 counties, including Jackson County. In 2014 nearly 27,000 calls were made locally to 2-1-1 with appropriate referrals made. An example of just one of the thousands of calls Central ... Read more
- FSCA’s Juvenile Diversion and Truancy Program The Juvenile Diversion and Truancy program from Family Service & Children’s Aid provides first time at risk youth the opportunity to improve their overall choices and behavior. The program helps to prevent further prosecution, tries to improve family relationships and promotes regular school attendance. Courts refer teens to the program and upon completion their records are wiped clean. This allows them to move forward in life. They will be able to get a job, go to school, enter the military or anything else they wouldn’t have been able to do if they had a criminal record.
FSCA’s Juvenile Diversion and Truancy ... Read more
- Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan – Outreach Program The goal of the Girl Scout Outreach programs in Jackson County is to provide access to youth development opportunities to girls who may not be able to participate in Girl Scouting as part of a volunteer-led troop. Barriers to participation often include lack of transportation and financial support, as well as a lack of available Girl Scout troops resulting from a lack of volunteers to lead them. Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan (GSHOM) offers its outreach program in partnership with area schools and community organizations. Outreach facilitators deliver Girl Scout programming in several Jackson Public Schools on an ongoing basis ... Read more
- AWARE – Sexual Assault Program The AWARE’s Sexual Assault Program is the only program in Jackson County that provides forensics immediately after an attack and free counseling for rape survivors and other victims of sexual assault. This is the only program locally that deals exclusively with sexual assault in public education, community presentations and public awareness.
AWARE provides a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) to a rape survivor. Rape survivors are provided with information on medical follow-up for their trauma, and free counseling services at AWARE to aid with emotional and mental healing from rape. Counselors and advocates provide information to counseling clients and rape survivors ... Read more
- Community Action Agency – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is an IRS sponsored program that provides free income tax preparation assistance to households in need. Volunteers are recruited and trained by the Community Action Agency, they take IRS sponsored tests and become certified tax preparers. Those who qualify are able to get their taxes filed for free and have their refunds direct deposited. Many of their clients either didn’t file appropriately or didn’t file at all in the past. These families are now able to have the refund they deserve, money which is spent locally and is helping them become financially stable.
Last year ... Read more