- AWARE – Sexual Assault Program The AWARE’s Sexual Assault Program is the only program in Jackson County that provides forensics immediately after an attack and free counseling for rape survivors and other victims of sexual assault. This is the only program locally that deals exclusively with sexual assault in public education, community presentations and public awareness.
AWARE provides a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) to a rape survivor. Rape survivors are provided with information on medical follow-up for their trauma, and free counseling services at AWARE to aid with emotional and mental healing from rape. Counselors and advocates provide information to counseling clients and rape survivors ... Read more
- Community Action Agency – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is an IRS sponsored program that provides free income tax preparation assistance to households in need. Volunteers are recruited and trained by the Community Action Agency, they take IRS sponsored tests and become certified tax preparers. Those who qualify are able to get their taxes filed for free and have their refunds direct deposited. Many of their clients either didn’t file appropriately or didn’t file at all in the past. These families are now able to have the refund they deserve, money which is spent locally and is helping them become financially stable.
Last year ... Read more
- Community Action Agency – Financial Management Programs Promoting Self-Sufficiency
Because you give to the United Way of Jackson County, local families are learning how to become financially stable.
Financial Freedom classes are available to anyone in Jackson. The goal is to teach overall budgeting skills with an emphasis on individual choice. Classes are tailored to the needs of the participants and include instruction along with practical application. Topics covered include… Communication – Making decisions with a spouse who has different priorities.
Spending Leaks – Being realistic about where the money is spent and finding ways to plug the leaks.
Needs vs. Wants – Being a smarter spender
Creating a budget plan – Planning ... Read more
- Nonprofit Network – Strong Boards / Strong Nonprofits The mission of the Nonprofit Network is to strengthen nonprofit governance and management. The NPN is a capacity builder meaning they plan, promote and execute activities and support services to help Jackson area nonprofit organizations achieve their mission. United Way funded partners benefit from many of the activities, training sessions and support offered by the NPN. Twenty United Way funded partners have been able to use full or partial stipends available through the NPN just within the first six months of 2014. 82 individuals who work or volunteer with United Way funded partners have been able to participate in workshops, ... Read more
- Child Care Network – FIRST Family Support Program The Child Care Network promotes success of children, families and the Jackson community through quality child care education, advocacy and family support. Because you give to the United Way of Jackson County we are able to help fund CCN’s FIRST Family Support Program.
Child Care Network’s Family Support Program (FSP) has touched thousands of children and families for over thirty-seven years. They help parents who are working, going to school, in job training, experiencing a life-crisis situation (such as domestic violence or homelessness), seeking employment, and grandparents raising grandchildren through our Family Support Program.
The Family Support team works with parents with ... Read more
- AWARE – Domestic Violence Shelter Program The Domestic Violence Shelter Program at Aware provides refuge for women and their children who are fleeing a domestic violence situation or are victims of sexual assault. Aware has sleeping quarters, kitchen and dining facilities, children’s play area, and a women’s lounge along with security from their abusers behind locked doors and access to counseling. Aware’s Emergency Shelter for domestic violence and sexual assault victims is the only program in Jackson County that provides free shelter, basic needs and counseling services to specifically address the needs of survivors and their children.
Within the first half of 2014 Aware provided Domestic Violence ... Read more
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson County – Bigs in Schools Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Jackson County match at risk youth with positive role models, men and women who live and work in Jackson County. As part of the Bigs in Schools program, mentors volunteer to spend their lunch, at least once day a week, with their little at their school. They help them with homework, work on reading, play games and talk, among other things. Learn and Serve Michigan Center is also part of the site based program for BBBSJC where teens mentor youth in the lower grade levels. For the children in these programs, measurable improvements have been ... Read more
- Family Service & Children’s Aid – Family Counseling Program Family Service and Children’s Aid Family Counseling Program is nationally accredited, comprehensive mental/behavioral health program designed to improve emotional health by alleviating personal and interpersonal problems that create distress or impair functioning in the family. Counseling services address all types of circumstances: parent-child alienation, child behavior problems, child abuse and neglect, grief to loss, marriage conflicts, substance abuse, depression, and work/life issues. Counseling services can focus on reducing depression and anxiety, promoting health from trauma and neglect, and teaching interpersonal skills to improve lives. Master’s degree level clinicians meet with clients and their families to accomplish client-centered treatment goals. All ... Read more
- Family Service & Children’s Aid – Jackson County Guardian Services Jackson County Guardian Services program provides Guardian and Conservator services to enrich the lives of incapacitated adults who are unable to protect their own interest and who are vulnerable to exploitation, neglect or injury. These individuals have had a Guardian and/or Conservator appointed by the Court to undertake the legal responsibility of making major life decisions and advocating for them by making care, custody, medical treatment and financial decisions. The Guardian/Conservator helps develop a community based service plan for achieving and/or maintaining optimum social, psychological and physical functioning. This is achieved through providing assessments, service planning and coordination, making arrangements ... Read more
- JCISD – Early Truancy Intervention Program The Jackson County Intermediate School District’s Early Truancy Intervention program provides home-based support services to families with elementary school-aged children, grades K-5, who have been referred by their elementary school for attendance difficulties, including excessive absenteeism and/or tardiness. The ETI program provides referred families with needed support services to identify and overcome barriers that interfere with their child’s regular and timely attendance. The primary goals of the ETI program are to promote regular attendance habits and increase and maintain consistent attendance of elementary school-aged children. To achieve these goals, the ETI program provides families with support services that include: a ... Read more