- Salvation Army – Basic Needs Program There are times when many people need a hand up. The Salvation Army is here to help during those times. With funding through the United Way of Jackson County the Salvation Army in Jackson has been able to provide food, energy and housing assistance to low and moderate income Jackson County residents through their Basic Needs program. For the first half of 2014 the Salvation Army of Jackson helped 1,590 families avoid a utility shutoff or had their service restored, provided 3,010 Jackson County families with food assistance to last five days and helped 10 families avoid eviction and or ... Read more
- Family Service & Children’s Aid – Parent Education Program The FSCA Parent Education Program is designed to assist parents in developing the skills necessary to positively influence their children through the parenting role. The program provides parenting assessments to identify areas of strength and need. Focus is on building empathy in children, fostering independence, developing age-appropriate expectations, maintaining appropriate roles, and using positive discipline techniques. Individualized assessments identify barriers to positive parenting. The Nurturing Parenting curriculum uses evidence-based practices that emphasize positive parenting, which in turn builds stronger families. Skills are emphasized that help parents develop empathy and improve overall relations within their families. The FSCA PE program connects ... Read more
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative Because of your donation to United Way of Jackson County area teens are advocating for pregnancy prevention with their peers. The Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative is a community-wide effort led by the United Way of Jackson County and the Jackson County Health Department. The mission of the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative is to reduce the teen pregnancy rate and address contributing factors for the young people of Jackson County. The Teen Pregnancy Prevention initiative is committed to working towards improving the sexual health of teens in Jackson County. To accomplish this TPPI has established four strategic goals. Maintain the TPPI as ... Read more
- Legal Services of South Central Michigan LSSCM provides free civil legal assistance to low-income persons with emphasis on homelessness prevention, domestic violence prevention and assisting in accessing health care, food, and needs-based income programs.
The “Legal Services to Very Low Income Individuals and Families” program provides free civil legal assistance to very low income individuals and their families with an emphasis on homelessness prevention, domestic violence prevention, and assisting in accessing healthcare, food, and needs-based income programs in Jackson County. The work in this program aligns with the outcome of meeting basic needs by providing a full range of legal services to families facing these critical issues ... Read more
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Jackson County A United Way of Jackson County Funded Program That Is Making A Difference For Generations To Come.
Big Brothers Big Sisters matches children between the ages of 5 and 18 with caring adult mentors. BBBS studies show improvements in Jackson area youth in reduction of drug and alcohol use, improvements in attitudes about and commitment to education, as well as a reduction in violence. A facet of the Community Based Program, Children of Promise Excel (COPE) serves children of incarcerated parents. This program’s assessment process and training are consistent with the Community Based Programs evaluations and processing.
Big Brothers Big Sisters has ... Read more
- Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee & Hillsdale Veteran’s Transportation Program The mission of Catholic Charities of JLH is to make Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale Counties healthier, more compassionate communities by empowering individuals with the capacity and the desire to improve their quality of life.
Since 1958, Catholic Charities of JLH has been leading the battle against the issues that plague so many in our neighborhoods. They provide an array of human services, regardless of faith or ability to pay, welcoming everyone with open arms and open hearts.
Because of your donations to United Way of Jackson County, Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale has been able to transport Jackson area Veterans ... Read more
- Jackson Friendly Home The Jackson Friendly Home (JFH) is dedicated to providing quality healthcare to women over the age of 60, in a home-like atmosphere, which encourages independence. The Home has a rich history dating back to 1878 when the “Home of the Friendless” first opened its doors to orphans and widows of the Civil War. Our current building was designed by Clare Allen, and was erected in 1908. On August 12th of that year the ladies moved from the original home on Oak Hill Drive to our current address at 435 W. North Street, Jackson, Michigan. Thankfully, the name of the ... Read more