- Every Month Is Reading Month UNITED WE WIN by providing the opportunity for students all across Jackson County to succeed in school. Your support increases the reading proficiency of struggling elementary students in our community. United Way’s Energizing Education Program pairs students who are behind in their reading with trained mentors. Last year, 140 mentors helped 177 students to gain more confidence and become better readers. This is one story of the hundreds of lives that have been touched through your support.
One of Energizing Education’s mentors is a coach in the community. He has been a mentor with EE for several years and this year ... Read more
- Helping Families and Children Succeed UNITED WE FIGHT for a life of stability for children in our community. Your generosity allows UWJC to support the Emergency Child Care Program through the Felician Children’s Center. The main focus of the program is to offer temporary, quality childcare on an emergency basis for parents who a dealing with a traumatic experience. The program allows them to maintain their work schedule or continue their education while providing this vital service until the crisis they are dealing with has been resolved. In some cases, the program is more of a benefit to the children enrolled. Such is the case ... Read more
- VITA Delivers Millions Of Dollars To Low-Income Households Of Jackson County Every Year UNITED WE WIN by helping low-income households develop and maintain financial stability. Every dime matters for individuals and families who are struggling. Your support makes it possible for United Way of Jackson County to fund the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. Qualifying households are getting their taxes properly prepared for free by trained volunteers and they are getting the tax return they deserve. Households that are in distress are getting an infusion of cash when they need it most. Betty is one of thousands who benefit from this program every year in Jackson County.
Being a senior citizen, Betty is ... Read more
- Finding Stability Through Central Michigan 2-1-1 UNITED WE WIN by helping families and individuals who are struggling find their own path to stability. Each year, thousands who are in need are connected to a variety of health and human services through Central Michigan 2-1-1 in Jackson County. Jeff’s story is one example of how your UWJC support is creating real IMPACT in our community.
Jeff’s fiancé passed away within the last year, and he was having a hard time coping and staying in the home that they shared. The home also had some structural issues making it unsafe for Jeff. Jeff’s family was becoming very worried about ... Read more
- Those In Need Are Finding Stability Through 211 UNITED WE FIGHT for the financial stability of every person in our community. Through Central Michigan 2-1-1, people in need are connected with health and human resources in Jackson County. Specialists provide information, referrals, navigation and advocacy when people are looking for help or to give help in our community. Penni is just one of the nearly 11,000 individuals who called Central Michigan 2-1-1 last year. Her story is one example of the many lives impacted through this UWJC-supported program.
Penni and her husband were experiencing hard times. Due to major medical issues, her husband lost his job shortly after the ... Read more
- Investing in Jackson County With the whirlwind passage of tax reform by the federal government, nonprofit agencies are looking anxiously at 2018.
The new law increases the standard deduction for taxpayers, which means fewer people will need to itemize. That removes an incentive for people to make charitable gifts; in fact, the National Tax Policy Center estimates charitable giving nationwide will drop up to 6.5 percent, or $20 billion.
Of course, among the most important lessons I learned in my youth—one that determined my life’s work—is that we give to those in need because it’s the right thing to do, not because we get a tax ... Read more
- CARE Plus Program – Offering Assistance That Leads To Stability UNITED WE WIN by helping households and families survive a difficult time. We want everyone to have an opportunity to achieve stability in their lives. United Way of Jackson County in cooperation with Consumers Energy supports and operates the CARE Plus Program, connecting low-income households with utility assistance. The program offers gift cards to individuals willing to share their story or post helpful information in a private Facebook group for those enrolled. Joan qualified for assistance with her natural gas bill, participated in the Facebook group, and was randomly selected to receive a gift card. 2017 was not an easy ... Read more
- Consumers Energy, United Way Partner on Energy Assistance Consumers Energy announced today that it’s donating $10 million that will go directly to helping people in need with their energy bills – assistance that will help thousands of families to stay safe and warm through this cold Michigan winter. United Way of Jackson County is among six nonprofits statewide that will administer the funds and coordinate assistance to those in need. “For people in poverty or living with low incomes, it’s easy to fall behind on utility bills. That creates a spiral that keeps them from achieving financial stability,” said Ken Toll, President and CEO of United Way of Jackson ... Read more
- Fighting For Stability, United Against Substance Abuse UNITED WE FIGHT for the financial stability of every person in Jackson County. Widespread substance abuse and addiction is a leading contributor to poverty in our community. We support counseling programs through Catholic Charities of Jackson and Family Service and Children’s Aid that help those who have struggled with addictions. By working through their underlying issues, clients learn to put their obstacles behind them so they can move forward and have an opportunity at success and stability. Last year more than 200 people improved their lives through this program. Phil’s story is just one of many successes.
Phil is 40 and ... Read more
- Creating Strong and Enduring Relationships That Improves The Lives Kids Facing Adversity UNITED WE WIN by changing the lives of children facing adversity. United Way of Jackson County supports community-based mentorship through Big Brothers Big Sisters. This program provides these kids with strong and enduring, professionally reinforced, one-on-one relationships that change their lives for the better. Bigs are encouraged to promote health, wellness and financial stability, among other life skills, for the Little during their relationship. Currently 156 Littles are matched with a Big. Kalayjha is one of those Littles whose life will be changed for the better because of her relationship with Emily.
Emily is a 31-year-old financial analyst from Consumers Energy. ... Read more