- Mentoring Our Kids, Changing Their Future. UNITED WE WIN by helping the at-risk children of our community realize their full potential and helping them develop a positive sense of their own future. United Way of Jackson County is honored to support mentoring programs like Bigs in Schools through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson County. Caring adults are paired with children who need mentoring. They meet once a week during lunch. During their time together they read, focus on the student’s studies, set goals and come up with a plan to achieve their goals. Most importantly, these kids, who otherwise don’t have a positive role model in ... Read more
- Domestic Violence Survivors Are Finding Their Pathway To Stability UNITED WE WIN when we work together for safe housing, counseling and financial stability for survivors of domestic violence. United Way of Jackson County supports residential and non-residential services at the AWARE Shelter in Jackson. This program provides counseling for women and children dealing with this type of trauma, legal assistance and safe housing so they can be protected. Your support empowers them toward a life of stability and success with job financial training and housing assistance. Each year hundreds of women and their children seek sanctuary at the AWARE Shelter. Amy’s story is just one of many that shows how ... Read more
- Security and Stability For Our Most Vulnerable Neighbors We help protect vulnerable adults from neglect, injury and exploitation. United Way of Jackson County supports a Guardian Services Program that provides Guardian and Conservator services for incapacitated adults who are unable to protect their own interests. This program is run by Family Service and Children’s Aid and allows for a court appointed Guardian / Conservator to take responsibility for major life decisions and advocate on their behalf. There are hundreds of individuals who now have a life of stability as a result of this program. Mark’s story is just one example of the IMPACT that takes place every day ... Read more
- No Money, No Family, No Sanctuary. United Way of Jackson County empowers women who are survivors of domestic violence. These women don’t want to live this horrific life. They don’t want their children growing up to think this is normal. They don’t have family to offer sanctuary. They don’t have money to fund an escape. They are secluded in a nightmare of endless abuse with nowhere to hide and no one to help. They are trapped.
United Way of Jackson County fights for their safety and stability by supporting legal assistance for low-income persons. Through this program, victims are able to obtain divorces, custody, stable housing and ... Read more
- The Pathway To Success Starts Early Students who are succeeding in elementary school have a greater chance of graduating high school.
By IMPACTING at-risk youth and setting them on their pathway to success at a young age, we can ensure they will be ready for college or a fulfilling career. Falling victim to poverty is the alternative for these kids. We are fighting for their stability and success. United Way of Jackson County supports the Lily Missions Center’s After School Program where kids have a safe environment to learn and grow. Robbie’s story is just one example of a child working hard to succeed. He didn’t ... Read more
- Teens Encouraging Teens and Preteens To Make Smart Healthy Choices High rates of teen pregnancy can upend young lives and increase the burden on a community’s social programs. Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative (TPPI) was formed in 2005 by United Way of Jackson County with a mission to reduce the teen pregnancy rate and address contributing factors for Jackson County’s young people. TPPI strives to improve adolescent sexual health in Jackson County, improve parent-child communication regarding adolescent sexual health in our community, and promote awareness of the issue. The program currently operates as part of the Jackson County Health Department and is supported by UWJC. TPPI’s mission is supported in part by ... Read more
- Jackson County Families Deserve A Stress Free and Financially Secure Life United Way of Jackson County wants to help struggling families develop their pathway to financial stability and success. Your support allows UWJC to fund Financial Stability Workshops through the Community Action Agency. By completing this six-week program, clients learn how to become comfortable with a planned budget, manage their finances, and plan for the future. Living with savings and without debt can create a stress-free and financially secure environment. Helen completed the workshop and is now on her pathway to financial stability and success.
The paycheck went just as quickly as it came. Rent, car, lights, groceries, all the different things ... Read more
- Dealing With Trauma Leads To Stability For individuals who feel as if their life if spiraling out of control, we offer help and an opportunity to regain their stability. Through your support, United Way of Jackson County provides funds for the Outpatient Counseling Program at Catholic Charities which provides services for low-income, uninsured or under-insured families and individuals. This program specializes in treating victims of physical abuse, sexual abuse, and neglect. Clients empower themselves through the sessions. By learning coping mechanisms and other skills, they are able to deal with the trauma of their past so they can lead a healthy and productive life in our community. ... Read more
- Helping Families Achieve Stability When families fall upon hard times, we need to help them get back on their pathway to financial stability and success. Your gifts to United Way of Jackson County allows us to support the Basic Needs Program through the Salvation Army. You are helping to remove financial barriers that are keeping hard-working families from becoming or regaining their financial stability. This family of five is just one example of thousands throughout Jackson County IMPACTED by your support:
Gina came to the Salvation Army desperate for help. She and her husband lost their jobs just weeks apart. Now, just a few short ... Read more
- Less Stress, More Stability. Leading Families Toward Success. We want struggling families to become financially stable, and we want their children to succeed in school. Because of your support, United Way of Jackson County can provide funds for the FIRST Family Support Program. This program allows families who are at or near financial crisis to maintain stable employment or continuing education while ensuring quality early education and day care for their children. Susan’s story is just one example of the IMPACT that is being made in Jackson County, thanks to your support.
Susan is a married mother of two small children. She is loving and kind. Susan is a ... Read more