- JobSTAR Sets Course for Stronger Families & Community by Ken Toll
Two years ago, United Way unveiled a vision for our community and a bold goal to take us there. Our vision: A community rich in opportunities to eliminate poverty and allow all people to achieve financial stability and success. Our goal: Help 5,000 Jackson County residents develop a pathway to financial success by 2025.
Everything we do, every task we perform, every program or partnership we support is aimed at Financial Stability. In that light, we know these two critical things: One, a good-paying job is the most effective pathway to financial stability for individuals and families.
Two, a steady, productive ... Read more
- Helping Families Work Through Challenges WE LIVE UNITED by helping at-risk youth become better students and helping struggling households find their stability. Much of the work you support revolves around removing obstacles that prevent those living at or near poverty from attending school or maintaining their employment. For many of us, similar obstacles may be challenging but not impossible to overcome. For the 1/3 of Jackson County residents living in hardship, these obstacles may prove to be too much. By helping families and individuals work through any number of challenges, we can help them maintain or regain their stability and develop their pathway to success. ... Read more
- We Fight For Those Who Need A Voice UNITED WE FIGHT for the financial stability of everyone in Jackson County. Your support helps low-income households avoid homelessness, protect them from domestic violence, and assist them with accessing health care, food and other basic need supports. Programs such as Legal Services for Very Low Income Individuals and Families through Legal Services of South Central Michigan helps us fight for those who don’t have the resources to fight for themselves. Connie’s story is an example of someone who was able to maintain stability in their life until disaster struck.
Connie is disabled, she works part time from home and depends on ... Read more
- Every Month Is Reading Month UNITED WE WIN by providing the opportunity for students all across Jackson County to succeed in school. Your support increases the reading proficiency of struggling elementary students in our community. United Way’s Energizing Education Program pairs students who are behind in their reading with trained mentors. Last year, 140 mentors helped 177 students to gain more confidence and become better readers. This is one story of the hundreds of lives that have been touched through your support.
One of Energizing Education’s mentors is a coach in the community. He has been a mentor with EE for several years and this year ... Read more
- Helping Families and Children Succeed UNITED WE FIGHT for a life of stability for children in our community. Your generosity allows UWJC to support the Emergency Child Care Program through the Felician Children’s Center. The main focus of the program is to offer temporary, quality childcare on an emergency basis for parents who a dealing with a traumatic experience. The program allows them to maintain their work schedule or continue their education while providing this vital service until the crisis they are dealing with has been resolved. In some cases, the program is more of a benefit to the children enrolled. Such is the case ... Read more
- VITA Delivers Millions Of Dollars To Low-Income Households Of Jackson County Every Year UNITED WE WIN by helping low-income households develop and maintain financial stability. Every dime matters for individuals and families who are struggling. Your support makes it possible for United Way of Jackson County to fund the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. Qualifying households are getting their taxes properly prepared for free by trained volunteers and they are getting the tax return they deserve. Households that are in distress are getting an infusion of cash when they need it most. Betty is one of thousands who benefit from this program every year in Jackson County.
Being a senior citizen, Betty is ... Read more
- Finding Stability Through Central Michigan 2-1-1 UNITED WE WIN by helping families and individuals who are struggling find their own path to stability. Each year, thousands who are in need are connected to a variety of health and human services through Central Michigan 2-1-1 in Jackson County. Jeff’s story is one example of how your UWJC support is creating real IMPACT in our community.
Jeff’s fiancé passed away within the last year, and he was having a hard time coping and staying in the home that they shared. The home also had some structural issues making it unsafe for Jeff. Jeff’s family was becoming very worried about ... Read more
- Those In Need Are Finding Stability Through 211 UNITED WE FIGHT for the financial stability of every person in our community. Through Central Michigan 2-1-1, people in need are connected with health and human resources in Jackson County. Specialists provide information, referrals, navigation and advocacy when people are looking for help or to give help in our community. Penni is just one of the nearly 11,000 individuals who called Central Michigan 2-1-1 last year. Her story is one example of the many lives impacted through this UWJC-supported program.
Penni and her husband were experiencing hard times. Due to major medical issues, her husband lost his job shortly after the ... Read more
- Investing in Jackson County With the whirlwind passage of tax reform by the federal government, nonprofit agencies are looking anxiously at 2018.
The new law increases the standard deduction for taxpayers, which means fewer people will need to itemize. That removes an incentive for people to make charitable gifts; in fact, the National Tax Policy Center estimates charitable giving nationwide will drop up to 6.5 percent, or $20 billion.
Of course, among the most important lessons I learned in my youth—one that determined my life’s work—is that we give to those in need because it’s the right thing to do, not because we get a tax ... Read more
- CARE Plus Program – Offering Assistance That Leads To Stability UNITED WE WIN by helping households and families survive a difficult time. We want everyone to have an opportunity to achieve stability in their lives. United Way of Jackson County in cooperation with Consumers Energy supports and operates the CARE Plus Program, connecting low-income households with utility assistance. The program offers gift cards to individuals willing to share their story or post helpful information in a private Facebook group for those enrolled. Joan qualified for assistance with her natural gas bill, participated in the Facebook group, and was randomly selected to receive a gift card. 2017 was not an easy ... Read more