- Kids Succeed & Struggling Families Win! We believe all children should have equal access to quality day care and early learning opportunities. By supporting United Way of Jackson County, you make quality care affordable for struggling families. UWJC funds the FIRST Family Support Program through the Child Care Network. This program provides child care tuition to low-income qualifying families. Parents can afford day care that provides their young children with development and growth opportunities. In turn, parents are able to redirect their limited resources so they can live independently and continue on their pathway to financial stability and success. Lauren’s story is one example of the ... Read more
- EXTENDING THE SAFETY NET FOR STRUGGLING FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS We believe that helping struggling families and individuals with basic needs assistance during times of financial crisis will eventually lead to stability and success. When you support United Way of Jackson County, you help expand the safety net for families and individuals. United Way provides funds to the Salvation Army Basic Needs Program, which provides food, utility assistance and minor home repair. Dorothy is just one of many who have been able to get by because of this United Way funded program.
Dorothy had hip surgery. She spent last winter at a nursing facility recovering and doing physical therapy. Her husband ... Read more
- WE WANT OUR CHILDREN TO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED Your United Way of Jackson County support is helping young students understand how alcohol, tobacco, and drugs will negatively impact their lives. We believe kids who have been a part of this United Way funded program will make positive choices and will remain on their pathway to stability and success. The Breakout Drug Education Program provides school based education for middle and high school students throughout Jackson County. They are making an IMPACT in our community. The following was taken from a “Letter of Support” written by a Columbia Central teacher.
This program is effective because it is geared toward the middle ... Read more
- WE WANT ALL GIRLS TO BE RESOURCEFUL AND CONFIDENT We believe all girls in elementary school should have the opportunity to learn positive values, develop confidence and flourish through cooperation and teamwork. By supporting United Way of Jackson County, you make it possible to bring a program that promotes these behaviors among low-income populations. UWJC funds the Girl Scout Outreach Program, which takes the values of scouting to areas of need. At-risk girls who engage in scouting develop practical life skills, critical thinking, cooperation and teambuilding skills, becoming resourceful problem-solvers. Through group activities and personal mentoring, these girls develop self-worth and a positive sense of their own future. One of ... Read more
- SAVING FAMILIES & IMPROVING LIVES We believe every child, family, and individual in Jackson County should have the opportunity to forge strong, healthy and caring family relationships with good mental health.
Your United Way of Jackson County support is making an impact by providing outpatient counseling services through Catholic Charities to the uninsured and under-insured. Mary’s story is just one of many whose life was turned around by your generosity.
Mary was struggling — with her children, with relationships within her family, with work, and especially with her husband. She had good role models as a child, and her parents were great. Why was her marriage so ... Read more
- GUARDIANS HELP PROVIDE A LIFE OF STABILITY We believe it’s important to protect the interests of incapacitated adults who may be vulnerable to exploitation, neglect or injury. Your support allows United Way of Jackson County to fund an Adult Guardian Program. These guardians and conservators are court-appointed to advocate and make decisions on care, custody, medical treatment and finances. Your support stops crimes like fraud and abuse; in many cases, your support saves the lives of adults who can’t help themselves.
Betty’s neighbors were aware of her. They knew she was in her mid-60s, developmentally disabled and living alone. They were aware, but they didn’t really know her. ... Read more
- KEEP JACKSON HEALTHY, MAKE JACKSON PROSPEROUS! We believe all people should have the opportunity to embrace a healthy lifestyle so they can live, work and succeed. Your support has made it possible to remove obstacles that prevent families and individuals from maintaining their own health and allowing them to work or continue their education. Project Access is a United Way created and funded program that coordinates necessary health care services to patients that cannot afford medical services and do not have insurance or qualify for public health insurance programs. Donna’s story is just one of many who have been impacted by your support.
Donna found a lump and ... Read more
- RIGHTS, BASIC NEEDS & ABUSE! PROTECTING OUR MOST VULNERABLE CITIZENS We believe Jackson’s most at-risk population should have their rights and access to their most basic needs protected. Your support allows United Way of Jackson County to fund Legal Services to very low income individuals and families. This program provides a full range of legal services to qualifying families and individuals, with the goal of meeting basic needs and increasing financial independence. Guan-yin was one of hundreds who found protection because of your United Way support.
Guan-yin had a difficult life in China. She worked very hard with very little reward. She looked to the United States and dreamed of a ... Read more
- SAFETY & STABILITY FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SURVIVORS We believe women and children who are survivors of domestic violence should have the tools they need to have a life of safety, stability and success. Your support has made it possible for the United Way of Jackson County to fund the Trauma Counseling at the AWARE Shelter. Survivors of domestic and sexual violence have a safe and nurturing environment where they can begin the healing process. They have access to group and individual counseling. Through this program, survivors have the opportunityto escape their past and develop their future. The story of Danna and her daughter is just one of hundreds ... Read more
- A BOLD STEP TOWARD FINANCIAL STABILITY Blog by Ken Toll
My last two blogs touched on a new community vision, United Way’s focus on Financial Stability, and the impact of poverty and near-poverty on people and the community.
Today I want to touch on how Jackson County is going to really move the needle.
Remember our vision: We will be a community rich in opportunities to eliminate poverty and allow all people to achieve financial stability and success.
A vision is great. Every community should have one. But if we don’t take deliberate steps to make it real, it’s just words on paper.
This is where partnership is so crucial. United ... Read more