- We Believe Troubled Teens Can Be Redirected We believe in second chances. We believe troubled teens who are going down the wrong path can be redirected. We want these kids to grow into responsible adults who are financially independent. Your United Way of Jackson County support allows us to fund a Juvenile Diversion and Truancy Prevention Program that provides at-risk juveniles with services that promote regular school attendance, improve overall choices in their behavior, prevent further prosecution/recidivism, and improve familial relationships. Tammy, is a 15 year old who has dealt with a lot at a young age. This United Way funded program turned her life around. Tammy’s story ... Read more
- Ensuring A Stable Tomorrow By Investing In Our Youth Today We believe we can eliminate poverty in our community, in part, by preparing struggling students to succeed in school. Our elementary aged students have a greater chance of graduating high school if they are reading at grade level by the 4th grade. Your support makes it possible for United Way of Jackson County to give students the tools they need to succeed. UWJC’s Energizing Education pairs students who are falling behind with trained reading mentors. These mentors work on reading skills with these students twice a week. Chelsea is a JPS student who now has the tools she needs to ... Read more
- Stability For Our Greatest Generation We believe elderly men who have been abused, neglected or unable to care for themselves deserve an affordable home where their basic needs are met. Your support for United Way of Jackson County allows us to fund the John George Home. This facility provides a home, food and help with medical and mental health care. It also provides a sense of community and belonging for those who have been forgotten and left behind. Forty-three men currently call the John George Home their home, Bill is one of them.
Bill came from a senior living apartment. He was independent, happy and able to ... Read more
- All Our Kids Need To Be Confident & Strong We want to break the cycle of multi-generational poverty in Jackson County. We envision a community rich in opportunities to eliminate poverty and allow all people to achieve financial stability and success. Among the many crucial things we must address is preparing our youth to pursue their pathway to stability. Your support allows United Way of Jackson County to do just that. Children from impoverished homes or single-parent homes are gaining the confidence and skills they need to begin that journey. Because of you, we are able to fund community based mentoring programs through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson ... Read more
- Helping Struggling Families Keep The Lights On We believe helping struggling families with basic needs will lead them to their pathway of financial stability and success. Consumers Energy has partnered with United Way of Jackson County on the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program. Qualified enrollees in the CARE program pay a portion of their bill, Consumers Energy pays the other portion and enrollees have the opportunity to receive energy saving services from consumers. This program keeps the lights on for families who are having difficulty making the ends meet and it allows them to use their limited resources on other areas of their budget such ... Read more
- Kids Succeed & Struggling Families Win! We believe all children should have equal access to quality day care and early learning opportunities. By supporting United Way of Jackson County, you make quality care affordable for struggling families. UWJC funds the FIRST Family Support Program through the Child Care Network. This program provides child care tuition to low-income qualifying families. Parents can afford day care that provides their young children with development and growth opportunities. In turn, parents are able to redirect their limited resources so they can live independently and continue on their pathway to financial stability and success. Lauren’s story is one example of the ... Read more
- EXTENDING THE SAFETY NET FOR STRUGGLING FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS We believe that helping struggling families and individuals with basic needs assistance during times of financial crisis will eventually lead to stability and success. When you support United Way of Jackson County, you help expand the safety net for families and individuals. United Way provides funds to the Salvation Army Basic Needs Program, which provides food, utility assistance and minor home repair. Dorothy is just one of many who have been able to get by because of this United Way funded program.
Dorothy had hip surgery. She spent last winter at a nursing facility recovering and doing physical therapy. Her husband ... Read more
- WE WANT OUR CHILDREN TO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED Your United Way of Jackson County support is helping young students understand how alcohol, tobacco, and drugs will negatively impact their lives. We believe kids who have been a part of this United Way funded program will make positive choices and will remain on their pathway to stability and success. The Breakout Drug Education Program provides school based education for middle and high school students throughout Jackson County. They are making an IMPACT in our community. The following was taken from a “Letter of Support” written by a Columbia Central teacher.
This program is effective because it is geared toward the middle ... Read more
- WE WANT ALL GIRLS TO BE RESOURCEFUL AND CONFIDENT We believe all girls in elementary school should have the opportunity to learn positive values, develop confidence and flourish through cooperation and teamwork. By supporting United Way of Jackson County, you make it possible to bring a program that promotes these behaviors among low-income populations. UWJC funds the Girl Scout Outreach Program, which takes the values of scouting to areas of need. At-risk girls who engage in scouting develop practical life skills, critical thinking, cooperation and teambuilding skills, becoming resourceful problem-solvers. Through group activities and personal mentoring, these girls develop self-worth and a positive sense of their own future. One of ... Read more
- SAVING FAMILIES & IMPROVING LIVES We believe every child, family, and individual in Jackson County should have the opportunity to forge strong, healthy and caring family relationships with good mental health.
Your United Way of Jackson County support is making an impact by providing outpatient counseling services through Catholic Charities to the uninsured and under-insured. Mary’s story is just one of many whose life was turned around by your generosity.
Mary was struggling — with her children, with relationships within her family, with work, and especially with her husband. She had good role models as a child, and her parents were great. Why was her marriage so ... Read more